Thursday, June 26, 2008

Whispers by Dean Koontz - Review


Synopsis
Whispers, by Dean Koontz, is a psychological thriller that centers around Bruno, a psychopathic rapist/killer who thinks that just about every pretty brunette is his dead mother come back to life. Are you hooked yet? Good. Upon attempting to rape and kill Hilary Thomas, an up and coming director in L.A., she ends up fending him off. But Bruno, who has to kill his "dead mother" so that he could finally be at peace, keeps coming at her. The detective who responds to Hilary's case, Tony Clemenza, falls in love with her and makes it his mission to stop Bruno from attacking her, even after Hilary has stabbed him to death.

Review
I'm not going to lie when I say that this wasn't the best book I've ever read. On the other hand, it certainly wasn't the worst. There were some parts of this story that seemed to drone on and on and on and.... well, you get the idea. Toward the end, there was a lot of dialogue in the lawyer's private airplane that was like pulling teeth. And, a lot of it didn't make much sense. How could these three people have figured out exactly what Bruno was thinking and feeling with the little bit of evidence that they had? It was like they were taking a shot in the dark, but they got everything completely right on. That part bothered me more than anything. Up until that point in the book (and it's really in the last 50 pages or so), this was a fabulous psychological thriller that kept me on my toes. I loved not knowing how Bruno could be dead - and alive - at the same time. I loved learning about his life and his past little by little. Whispers is a very deep, very tragic novel that will have you cheering for the "good guys" one minute, and feeling heartbroken for the "bad guys" the next minute. However, I was incredibly disappointed in the ending. I give this book 3 stars. I really with this story held its value to the end.

No comments: